#5 is about to be in the books as of this time Sunday.
What is this I speak of?
I am running my fifth half marathon tomorrow morning, bright and early. As in, a start time of 6:45am.
Not about running 13.1 miles- been there, done that.
But with the start time. It will still be dark outside. And cold.
But I like running in the cold so I am happy about that. Cold weather running is my happy place.
I have been spending this week taking care of myself- trying to eat better, sleeping more, running a little less.
I think this is what they call tapering : ).
I have also been giving a lot of thought to how I want race day to go, trying to put my mental well-being in the right place to do the best I have ever done. I contemplated not saying anything about my goals for tomorrow because
1) what if I didn't reach them?
2) what if I disappointed myself?
3) what if I put my goals out there, didn't reach them, disappointed myself, AND disappointed you guys?!!!
Oh goodness, this is NOT the way I want to be thinking. Too much negative and NOT enough positive. I have learned through these few years of running that the brain is a powerful thing and the way you think about your yourself and your ability can push you to the next level and help you overcome any bumps you experience along the way on race day.
So my goals for tomorrow are this:
1) ENJOY MYSELF.
2) Feel and revel in the beauty of the movement of my body.
3) Allow myself to FEEL.
4) Push a little harder and make sure to NOT leave any gas in the tank by the end of the race.
5) Beat my half marathon PR by ONE second. Anything more will be icing on the cake.
I do think I can do all of these things tomorrow morning and call it success.
See you on the other side!